Miscellaneous Dublin yards
While the main shipbuilding in Dublin Involved the Liffey yard, later Vickers, and Ross & Walpole several early years have disappeared without trace.
During construction work a Viking shipbuilding area was discovered on Dublin quays near the civic offices at Wood Quay. The site is marked by a bronze representation of a Viking ship. There is speculation based on ring analysis and carbon dating that one of the Roskilde (Denmark) boats was built at Dublin.
Yards in 1761
Lloyds register for 1761 lists ships built at Dublin from Murphy’s Cardiffs Kehoes, Kinchs. At the time there were two yards at Georges quay and another two at Sir J Rogersons Quay
North Strand The brigantine Thompson burthen 65 tons will be sold to the highest bidder on 19 February next. The inventory may be seen at the secretary’s office at the shipbuildings on the North Strand. Faulkners Dublin journal 24-1-1740.
Ferry point A reference in Faulkners Dublin Journal describes a location on17-6-1740 as Flanagan’s public house at the ferryboat at the shipbuilding
Archibold & Howard Moore -Tthe1753 Wilson’s directory Archibiold & Howard lists Moore Shipwrights at Georges Quay
Slipway at Blackhall Place Before the Liffey was enclosed by walls about 1820 a considerable slipway is mapped at Blackhall place.
Ringsend foundry In 1829 the Ringsend Foundry built engines for the Marchioness of Welesley
Maritime trades in Dublin 1761
Almanack Registry Dublin – In Gilbert Library, Pearse Street
|New row Thomas st
|Shipwright & Grocer