Irish Shipbuilding -Miscellaneous Dublin yards - While the main shipbuilding in Dublin Involved the Liffey yard, later Vickers, and Ross & Walpole several early years have disappeared without trace. - This short article remembers some Dublin shipyars
Posts tagged with ‘Dublin’
In November 1807 two ships, the Rochdale and Prince of Wales set sail from Pigeonhouse harbour in Dublin, bound for England. They were carrying newly recruited militia for the Napoleonic War, and their families. But bad fortune struck and an easterly gale forced the two ships onto rocks between Blackrock and Seapoint. They were wrecked and nearly 400 people drowned.
The story of this diving bell which still rests in the port. For its time it was technially advanced. The article covers why it was required, how it was invented and construced, and its success. It is the story of the great engineer Bindon Blood Stoney as well as the story of the men who worked in the Bell.
This working Optic is the light from Baily lighthouse in Howth, North Dublin. It was installed in 1902 and removed in 1972 when the lighthouse was modernised. The lighthouse was originally gas, then vaporised paraffin powered, the light was equivalent to 2,000,000 candle power. The optic now shines a lesser light over the museum.