|Barry, Edward, Wexford||Morgan, John,Â Dublin|
|Brannock, Patrick, Dublin||Mooney, Daniel, Dublin|
|Brady, Thomas, Galway||O’Brien, L., Dublin|
|deBurca, Diarmuid, Dublin||O’Brien, Richard, Dublin|
|Grimes, Richard, Dublin||O’Brien, Daniel, Dublin|
|Hamilton, A.R., Galway||O’Neill, P.,Â Dublin|
|Hopkins, Philip, Ringsend, Dublin||Ryan, Thomas, Rush, Co. Dublin|
|Larkin, John, Dublin||Simms, W.J., Kildare|
|Lynch, T., Clogherhead, Co. Louth||Todd, Ultan,; New Ross|
Kyleclare was built at Dundee in 1932 for the Limerick Steam Ship Company and up to the outbreak of the war mainly traded from ports in the west of Ireland to Liverpool. The morning of 21st February 1943 saw her departing Lisbon for Dublin as she steamed down the Tagus and into the Atlantic. Two days later she had made good progress northwards and was at 48 50 north, 12 20 west when sighted by U-456 (Kapitanleutnant Max Teichert). He manoeuvred into attack position; wind was south-south-west, force 3, sea smooth, gentle swell, good visibility.
He later claimed that he had not seen Kyleclare â€™s neutrality markings as she was so low in the water, listing to starboard and his periscope was awash. From a distance of 500 metres he fired a fan of three torpedoes. The moment of firing was logged; 2.38 p.m. Central European Time, 23 February 1943. As the torpedoes left the tubes, the submarine rose higher in the water and at that instance Teichert saw the double inscription EIRE on the shipâ€™s side. Seconds later a double explosion echoed throughout the submarine. He proceeded to the position of the sinking but found nothing except wreckage; Kyleclare had disintegrated in a massive cloud of brown smoke. Eighteen Irish lives were blasted into eternity with her.
The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases