One of the country’s leading magicians, Brian Daly Magician will be performing his hit family magic show in the wonderful surroundings of the National Maritime Museum for the Dun Laoghaire Christmas Festival. An international award winning show of magic and comedy that everyone from toddlers to grandparents will enjoy. Parents review of the show:
“That was funnier than any comedy shows we’ve seen. I enjoyed it even more than my kids!”
When we admire the ship in a bottle, we must visualise the maker pulling at strings protruding from the bottle neck to erect the ship inside ‚Äď quite a feast of dexterity!
The technique of putting ships into bottles developed during the early years of the 19th century in the forecastles of the old sailing ships. In an era when sea voyages lasted months and years, and entertainment was self-evolved, off-watch sailormen occupied themselves creating bits of nautical folk art from whatever raw material came to hand. On whaling vessels the most abundant scrap materials were the teeth and bones of whales and walruses, which the whalermen fabricated into many familiar items collectively known as scrimshaw.
But other materials such as wood and rope and yarn were also used, and many interesting and decorative objects were made from these. It is not surprising then that an empty bottle might have piqued the imagination of some long-gone salt and led him to devise the technique for displaying miniature ships in bottles.
Whatever the origin, the technique for putting ships into bottles was well known to sailormen of all the major seafaring nations. Unfortunately, despite widespread knowledge of the technique, good early examples of the ship-in-bottle art have become scarce. Even well-known dealers in maritime art rarely have them available, and when they do, the price quoted is well outside what most individuals would be willing to pay. This is a shame for there are few decorations as evocatively nautical as a bottled ship.
Irish Shipping commissioned Kenneth King, the noted marine artist to paint pictures of their fleet. ¬†After the demise of Irish Shipping these were auctioned by the liquidator. ¬†The Maritime Institute of Ireland acquired some at the auction. ¬†Later the institute commissioned Kenneth to paint pictures of other Irish ships which were lost during World War Two. ¬†A selection of these paintings can be seen on St Columbia’s Chapel, a side-chapel in Mariners’ Church. ¬†For further information on a ship, clip on its image:
Sunk by torpedo from U-564 in North Atlantic, 22nd August 1941, convoy OG 71 The CLONARA had rescued thirteen men from the ALVA HMS CAMPION rescued thirteen survivors from the CLONARA (five from the ALVA and eight from the CLONARA) The six uninjured crew from CLONARA, were brought home by the CITY OF DUBLIN Carr, William, Dublin Green, Edward, Dublin Kavanagh, Edward, Dublin Lambe, A., Dublin McGuigan, Peter, Lusk, Co.Dublin McKane, Samuel, Dublin Reynolds, Joseph, […]
Mined and sunk in the Irish Sea – 2nd February 1940 five wounded, one died later The first Irish ship to be sunk in World War Two was the passenger ship Munster, which fell victim to a mine in Liverpool Bay on 7th February 1940. Built at Belfast in 1938 for the British and Irish Steam Packet Company she ran on a nightly service between Dublin and Liverpool until the out -break of war when […]
S.S. LUIMNEACH Able Seaman M Carrol died later of pneumonia On 4 Sep, 1940, the unescorted and neutral Luimneach (Master Eric Septimus Jones) was stopped by U-46 with two shots across her bow west-southwest of the Scilly Isles and was sunk at 20.00 hours by gunfire. There are differences in the accounts given by the captains. Endrass claimed that Capt Eric Jones and his crew ‚Äúlost their heads completely‚ÄĚ with one man jumping into the […]
Sunk by aircraft off Waterford coast, 19th December 1940 Dunne, P.,12 Sallynoggin Villa, Dun Laoghaire, aged 45. Farrell, W., Seaman; Dun Laoghaire Hayden, J.J., Fireman; Beaufort House, Dun Laoghaire, aged 37. Holland, William, Steward; 7 Sussex Street, Dun Laoghaire, aged 57. Rushby, William, 7 Carrigilea Gardens, Dun Laoghaire, aged 43. Shortt, P.,Fireman, 37 Castle Gardens, Dun Laoghaire, aged 43. Isolda was a lightship tender owned by the Commissioners of Irish Lights and registered in Dublin. […]
S.S. CITY OF LIMERICK S.S. CITY OF LIMERICK Brennan, Hugh, Clontarf, Dublin Sullivan, John, Liverpool [banner-rotator-fx][/banner-rotator-fx] The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
SS City of Bremen At 6pm on 2 June 1940, The City of Bremen (Saorstait and Continental Lines) was transporting grain from Lisbon to Dublin when she was bombed by a Junkers 88 bomber and sunk.¬† The crew were rescued by a Spanish fishing trawler. One of the crew, George Gerrassimoff, was Russian.¬†¬† It was feared that he might not be welcome because of the recent Spanish Civil War, so he was named “Paddy Murphy” […]
S.S. CITY OF WATERFORD S.S. CITY OF WATERFORD Aplin, Thomas E., Dublin Furlong, George, Wexford Naylor, Samuel, Bray, Co. Wicklow Murphy, P., Dun Laoghaire Kearney, Edward, Dublin were killed as a result of the Walmer Castle being bombed by German Aircraft two days later while still at sea. [banner-rotator-fx][/banner-rotator-fx] The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
Sunk with all 11 hands by gunfire from U-38 (Liebe) – NW Tory Island – 9th March 1940 The¬†Leukos was fishing in the company of¬†British trawlers and she may have positioned herself between these fleeing trawlers and the U-boat in the vain belief that her status as a neutral would be respected. Alternatively the¬†Leukos might have attempted to¬†ram the¬†U-38. ¬†Alternatively, as the Leukos was on the British registry until 1928, U-38 might have old information […]
Fishing Boat – NAOMH GARBHAN sorry, no illustration MII – Fishing Boat – NAOMH GARBHAN Mined and sunk of Waterford coast, 2nd May 1945 Cuddihy, Nicholas , Helvick, Waterford Griffin, John, (Senior)Helvick, Waterford Griffin, John, (Junior)Helvick, Waterford The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
S.S. KERRY HEAD Begley, Thomas, Limerick Naughton, George, Limerick Byrne, Dick, Wicklow Naughton, James, Limerick Davidson, William, Carrickfergus Nicholl, George, Carrickfergus Drummond, Charles, Blackpool O’Neill, Patrick, Limerick McMahon, Michael, Scattery Island, Co. Clare Tobin, John, Limerick McMahon, Stephen, Scattery Island, Co. Clare Wilson, James, Carrickfergus [banner-rotator-fx][/banner-rotator-fx] The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
M.V. INNISFALLEN MII – M.V. INNISFALLEN Doyle, W., Dublin Geary, Daniel, Kinsale Porter, James, Dublin Rickard, Joseph., Howth and three wounded [banner-rotator-fx][/banner-rotator-fx] The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
S.S. St. FINTAN MII – S.S. St. FINTAN Friitzen Carl, Dublin Hendy, Neil, Isle of Arran, Scotland Howat, James, Paisley, Scotland Jones, Joseph, Dublin Leonard, Matthew, Rush, Co.Dublin O’Beirne, Diarmuid, Dublin O’Brien, William, Dublin O’Donnell, M., Ringsend, Dublink Plunkett, B., Dublin [banner-rotator-fx][/banner-rotator-fx] The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
This working Optic is the light from Baily lighthouse in Howth, North Dublin. It was installed in 1902 and removed in 1972 when the lighthouse was modernised. The lighthouse was originally gas, then vapourised paraffin powered, the light was equivalent to 2,000,000 candle power. The optic now shines a lesser light over the museum.
Bailey Optic Light, donated by Irish Lights. The lens is a first order annular with a focal distance of 920mm. Its two faces ; one set at 180¬ļ, thus giving two flashes every revolution. It floats on a trough of mercury, supported on cast-iron pedestal. The centre bull‚Äôs eye and fifteen concentric prisms form the dioptre or refracting part, while the outer prisms form the catadioptic or reflective part of the lens. This lens replaced a non-reflecting lens which had been fitted in 1865 and was itself replaced by an entirely electric light in 1972. This lens, pedestal and weight driven clockwork rotation machine went into operation 1st January 1902, giving a single flash every min. The light source from 1902 to 1908 was a 19 mantle coal gas burner mounted on a lamp changing apparatus with a stand-by six wick oil burner. The coal gas was replaced in 1908 by vaporised paraffin, using a burner with 3 x 50mm mantles. In 1946 a triple 50mm regenerative burner increased the candle power to 2,000,000 from 950,000 candelas.
For an interactive view of the lighthouse (on the Irish Lights site) click here
The copyright of any articles published here remain with the author in all cases
If you support the aims and objectives of the Institute, you are invited to apply for membership; print this form and send it to the Membership Secretary, Maritime Institute of Ireland, Mariners’ Church, D√ļn Laoghaire.
You can contact us by post, telephone or by email – using the form below. You can visit us on the top floor of D√ļn Laoghaire Shopping Center.¬† We endeavour to answer all communications, however we are a voluntary organisation and occasionally messages are mislaid, if so, we apologise and please try again.¬† In general emails are best addressed to administration in the form below.
National Maritime Museum of Ireland, Mariners’ Church, D√ļn Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland
+353 (0)1 2143964 : this telephone is in our shop in D√ļn Laoghaire Shopping Center.¬† Call during normal business hours
+353 (0)1 2800969 This telphone is in the Museum. Call during our open hours (11am-5pm).